“Aged”, “antiqued”, “distressed” … these are some of the adjectives that people use to describe how they envision the finish on their cabinets or furniture. From an artist’s perspective, these are very vague terms. They cover a full spectrum of different techniques that all fall under the generalized category of “antiquing”. There is a big difference between a little bit of color in the corners and truly “aged”.
The charm of “aging” is that it represents what happens naturally over time as previous finish treatments are exposed to different elements. For example, there is more wear around edges and handles. Dust settles low. Sun shines inconsistently on vertical surfaces and causes layers of paint to fade and split. Horizontal surfaces and corners take the brunt of the burden for scuffs and scrapes. When done correctly, these pieces actually tell a story. It is helpful to create a mental image about how the object was used or where it was as each layer and technique is applied.
It is important to define exactly how “old” you want it to look. Begin by gathering photos that will show examples of your expectations. You may already have a small piece, like a picture frame, that will provide inspiration. One client even took me outside to view her weathered shutters!
Read more here
You can also visit us here for more information:
- We serve the greater metro Cape Town area including;
- Arabella Estate, Bantry Bay, Belaire Estate,
- Bettys Bay, Bishops Court, Bloubergstrand,
- Boskloof, Cape Town, Camps Bay,
- Claremont, Clifton, Constantia,
- Croydon, Wijnlanden, De Zalze,
- Painters in Erinvale, False Bay, Fish Hoek,
- Franschhoek, Fresnaye, Gardens,
- Gordons Bay, Green Point, Harbour Island,
- Helderberg, Painters in Hermanus, Higgovale,
- Hout Bay, Kalk Bay, Kelderhof Estate,
- Kenilworth, Kleinmond, Kommetjie,
- Llandudno, Melkbosstrand, Milnerton,
- Mouille Point, Muizenberg, Newlands,
- Noordhoek, Northern Suburbs Cape Town, Onrus,
- Oranjezicht, Paarl, Pinelands,
- Plumstead, Pringle Bay, Rondebosch,
- Rooi Els, Painters in Sea Point, Schapenberg Estate,
- Schonenberg, Simons Town, Sitari Estate,
- Somerset West, Southern Suburbs Cape Town,
- Spanish Farm, Stellenbosch, Strand, Table View,
- Tamboerskloof, Three Anchor Bay, Tokai,
- Val de Vie Estate, Vermont, Vredehoek,
- V&A Waterfront, Wedderwill Estate, Wynberg
- Many other surrounding area
- Builder, Builders, Contractors, Building, Home Builders, Residential Builders, Construction, Construction Company, Building contractors, House builders, NHBRC Registered, Buildings, Construction companies.
- Builders Somerset West, Builders Strand, Builders Gordons Bay.