Thinking about painting your brick house? Think again … and even a third time. While coating brick walls with a shade of sunny yellow or crisp white will certainly brighten the appearance of your property, you may be dismayed to find that it’s not easy to paint brickwork with a professional touch, and it will sharply increase the amount of maintenance your home’s exterior requires.
Read all about the advantages of unpainted brick, as well as alternative ways to give your outside walls a fresher, more modem look without painting.
Advantages of Unpainted Brick
Low Maintenance. Unpainted brick is surprisingly low maintenance. It’s durable and doesn’t peel or bubble, even in harsh weather; in fact, its “built-in” color actually develops an attractive patina as it ages. Once you put that paintbrush to the surface, however, you’re committing yourself to regular repainting. Even if the idea doesn’t faze you, think of its impact on curb appeal. When you eventually put your home on the market, many potential buyers will be turned off by the prospect of all that upkeep.
Weather Resistance. Another advantage to just leaving your house exterior alone is the fact that bricks are made from a kiln-fired mixture of clay and shale, which is naturally porous. This quality allows brick walls to breathe, expelling moisture as your home goes through rainstorms or freeze-thaw cycles. Painting, unless meticulously done with high quality, vapor-permeable masonry paint, tends to trap dampness and cause your bricks to crumble, often in as short a period as 5-10 years. The deterioration will be hidden beneath the paint, making it difficult to spot — and treat in the early stages.
You can also visit us here for more information:
- We serve the greater metro Cape Town area including;
- Arabella Estate, Bantry Bay, Belaire Estate,
- Bettys Bay, Bishops Court, Bloubergstrand,
- Boskloof, Cape Town, Camps Bay,
- Claremont, Clifton, Constantia,
- Croydon, Wijnlanden, De Zalze,
- Painters in Erinvale, False Bay, Fish Hoek,
- Franschhoek, Fresnaye, Gardens,
- Gordons Bay, Green Point, Harbour Island,
- Helderberg, Painters in Hermanus, Higgovale,
- Hout Bay, Kalk Bay, Kelderhof Estate,
- Kenilworth, Kleinmond, Kommetjie,
- Llandudno, Melkbosstrand, Milnerton,
- Mouille Point, Muizenberg, Newlands,
- Noordhoek, Northern Suburbs Cape Town, Onrus,
- Oranjezicht, Paarl, Pinelands,
- Plumstead, Pringle Bay, Rondebosch,
- Rooi Els, Painters in Sea Point, Schapenberg Estate,
- Schonenberg, Simons Town, Sitari Estate,
- Somerset West, Southern Suburbs Cape Town,
- Spanish Farm, Stellenbosch, Strand, Table View,
- Tamboerskloof, Three Anchor Bay, Tokai,
- Val de Vie Estate, Vermont, Vredehoek,
- V&A Waterfront, Wedderwill Estate, Wynberg
- Many other surrounding area
- Builders, Building contractors, Home Builders, House Builders, Residential Builders, Contractors.