Create a welcoming entrance to any room of the house with the right tools and techniques for the job. See this interesting article by Dulux Paints.
1. As tempting as removing your door immediately is, don’t. Take a look at how much room is between your door and the frame when it’s closed. If it’s a tight fit you may need to sand the edges to allow for extra coats of paint. It’s a little trick that can go a long way.
2. Now that’s done you can begin removing your handles and anything outstanding such as coat hooks. Using a couple of door stops, wedge the door securely while you remove the hinges.
TIP: Leave one screw on each hinge to support the weight of the door and make removal safer.
3. Once the door is off its hinges, lay it flat across a pair of sawhorses, chairs or even a table. Wash the surface thoroughly with Selleys® Original Sugar Soap before painting.
4. If your door has already been painted with enamel, give it a light sand until the shine has become dull. Wipe off the dust, and then you can then use Dulux 1 Step® Primer Sealer Undercoat to undercoat the door before applying a topcoat.
5. Stir your Dulux Aquanamel® to ensure even colour throughout the paint can. Using a synthetic brush, paint the mullions first, main panels second, then the rails, followed by the styles and finally the edges. In simpler terms, start with the shortest panels, and work towards the longest panels. When the door is dry, flip it over and repeat the process.
TIP: Work quickly to prevent the paint from drying and creating streaks.
6. Before applying a second coat, give your door a light sand with 360 grit sandpaper, and then thoroughly wipe down the surface.
7. And you’re done! Simply clean up using responsible paint disposal methods and enjoy your new look.
If you need more information, you can learn more by visiting the following sites:
- Painters Bantry Bay, Painters Bellville, Painters Bishops Court, Painters Brackenfell
- Painters Bloubergstrand, Painters Cape Town, Painters Camps Bay, Painters Claremont
- Painters Clifton, Painters Constantia, Painters Durbanville, Painters False Bay
- Painters Fish Hoek, Painters Franschhoek, Painters Fresnaye, Painters Gardens
- Painters Green Point, Painters Higgovale, Painters Hout Bay, Painters Kalk Bay
- Painters Kanonberg, Painters Kenilworth, Painters Kuils River, Painters Kommetjie
- Painters La Rochelle, Painters Loevenstein, Painters Llandudno, Painters Melkbosstrand
- Painters Milnerton, Painters Mouille Point, Painters Muizenberg, Painters Newlands
- Painters Noordhoek, Painters Cape Town Northern Suburbs, Painters Oranjezicht